Cravings

"The people who manage their weight the best are not those who crave foods less often but those who give in some of the time." --Susan Roberts, PhD

I came across this quote in an old issue of Cooking Light. I wholeheartedly agree! I think we all have cravings. And while you're pregnant, well, let's not even go there. The entire article, "Go Ahead, Give In", September 2008, gives strategies that work in either keeping cravings at bay or how to give in wisely. Some of the strategies include: Eat regularly, Practice portion control, Keep a food diary, Delayed gratification. I believe I've alluded to the idea before that I like to recognize my cravings and then satisfy it with something similar or a tiny piece of whatever I'm actually desiring. {The article refers to this strategy as "keeping it real".} If you're craving chocolate, an apple just won't do. I'll have a couple nibbles of a really high quality chocolate bar, one or two dark Hershey's kisses or maybe even a Trader Joe's No-Pudge brownie. The strategy that stood out to me the most is that of delayed gratification. Instead of telling myself "I can NOT have a Starbucks Frappuccinno" {it was painful to even type that!}, I can tell myself, "Not today" or "Not now, maybe next time". I actually have done this quite often without realizing it! It works pretty well in the area of finances also. BONUS!

Do you recognize those cravings when they strike? Got any good cravings strategies?

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Chronicles of an {Almost} Healthy Foodie - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template